Wednesday, June 26, 2013

And then there was a baby..




6 Months ago we welcomed Anja Joy into the world in a very exciting birthing experience, and our lives were forever changed.  It is hard to remember what life was like with only 2 kids.  With each child, I have not been able to imagine how things would be - how I would be able to love each one in a way that speaks to their needs - how we would even function.  However, even though each child brings with him/her a lot of adjustment and change, s/he also fits so perfectly into our family and us with him/her.  It is amazing how we are created to love so fully, even after we already fully love.  I hope that makes sense :)

So, with Anja came the nagging reality that my health is more fragile than I have given thought to.  I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes three times.  With Ezzie and Lina I was borderline, and simply had to watch my diet and remain active.  With Anja I was still testing borderline, but my body was not functioning well on its own.  I had to take meds each day.  Even though I was taking the lowest dosage I really struggled with feeling like I was doing something wrong.  

My midwife, Sylyna, shared with me that I should consider getting tested about 3 months after Anja was born to see how my body is handling sugars.  Given that I have very little information regarding my biological family's medical history and the little I do know involves brittle diabetes and type 2 diabetes, it was very important for me to see how my body was doing.

So, I went in for testing.  I did not have a positive experience with the doctor.  I left the office feeling like a fool for thinking anything could be wrong with me - after all, I wasn't fat enough or old enough, according to him, to be concerned.  I just have to exercise and eat well.

Well, I got the bloodwork back after calling (they said they would call me... yeah, not impressed with this office), and discovered in my own research that I am bordeline diabetic.  Basically, I have pre-diabetes.

So... now I know I am in the yellow zone.  What do I do?

Well, I struggle with taking care of my own body, and lack a lot of self-discipline in general.  

With my pregnancies I worked hard to eat well and take care of myself because I was not only affecting myself, but my children.  Without being pregnant, the pressure isn't exactly there in the same way - though the reality is there that if I don't care for myself my ability to care for and be with my family may be cut short.

So - what does a girl do?  I follow my own advice to my kids:  I start small.  I try, and when I fail, I try again.  I give myself grace, ask for help, and keep going.

So, this blog will be changing a bit.  I will not be focusing on family updates as much (and you can see how horrible awesome I have done in the past on this :)), but will be sharing about things regarding food and changes we are making in our family diets.  

We are not following a "diet," but are embarking on a journey one step at a time towards health.

I hope you will enjoy the posts that are coming.  Most will have to do with food, and others might just be fun updates on other things in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment