Tuesday, July 16, 2013

When you know it is good...

I love me a good deal.  When I saw large mangoes at Kroger for 3 for 99c last week I was very excited.  When I checked them out, I saw they were in great condition, and was even more excited.  (Today I actually returned to get a few more mangoes before the sale ends tomorrow - it is rare to find them this inexpensive!).

So, naturally I posted about the great sale, and set to work on making something delicious.  I had seen a post about a mango and lime sorbet, and after being saddened by not having any lime on hand, I changed my thinking and thought about the ingredients we had on hand.

I began by cutting up two large mangoes.  I then wanted to add some coconut, but we had just finished our can of coconut milk last week.  However, I had some creme de coconut on hand from making myself some tropical treats.


Before adding the creme de coconut, I knew I needed a liquid source.  We had apple juice, but I wanted something better.  We also had pineapple juice - the 100% not from concentrate kind.  Score!

So, I put 2 6-oz cans into the mix and 2 spoonfuls of the creme de coconut.  I blended the mix.. and tasted a bit (I had to use self-restraint here!).


Then to the refrigerator the mix went while Jon and I both ran 2 miles at the park with the kids.

When we returned I pulled out the mixture that had been left in the blender container, remixed it, and poured it into our icecream maker.  Jon went about bathing the older kids and getting them ready for bed while I prepped Anja for bed.

About 20 minutes later we returned to our sorbet.


You know you made something awesome when the first words out of your husband's words are - " What did you put in this?  It is freakin amazing!" - and I didn't even have to ask what he thought.

You are even more affirmed when your 4 year-old keeps licking his bowl even after he already cleaned it.


So, I would highly recommend this recipe.  Enjoy!

Mango Pineapple Coconut Sorbet
 - 2 large mangoes cut up
 - 2 6-oz cans 100% not from concentrate pineapple juice
 - 2 spoonfuls of creme de coconut

Mix all ingredients in a blender.  Put in fridge to cool (this helps the mixture freeze faster).  Remove from fridge and reblend simply to mix everything back up.  Pour in icecream maker and keep an eye on it until the mixture is frozen.  Enjoy - and try to not eat too much!  This makes about 5 individual portions (~1 cup each).

No comments:

Post a Comment