Friday, August 23, 2013

Jalapenos - Go Gloveless!

A few years ago I found myself cutting a bunch of jalapenos.  As I was cutting through them all I had no idea about the fate awaiting my gloveless hands.  My hands burned... I woke up throughout the night because of the pain.

I have avoided cutting them since.  When I have had one to cut, I've just done a few big chops without touching the fleshy green.  I don't keep gloves on me, forget to grab them at the store, and simply don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

About a month ago I discovered how to dice a jalapeno without using gloves, and without burning my fingers.  Not a single tinge of pain entered my fingertips.

Maybe this technique is commonly known, but just in case it isn't, and you don't want to bother with gloves either, this is for you!

First, position your jalapeno on your cutting board - only hold the stem.
 Take your knife and make slices beginning close to the stem, and move the knife through the tip.  Continue holding the stem.
 Rotate the jalapeno 90 degrees either direction.  Make similar slices just as you did before.
Now, begin cutting so your knife is running vertically (all while continuing to hold the stem).  You will have perfectly diced jalapenos and not a bit of burn on your gloveless hands!  Happy cutting!

No comments:

Post a Comment